Bluford Shops 2-Bay Offset-Side Hoppers are based on designs first proposed in the 1920s but not constructed until 1934. The AAR adopted these offset side cars as a standard design the following year. The offset design permitted greater interior capacity than a rib-side car with the same outside dimensions. It was thought this more than made up for the car's higher cost of construction. The last new 2-bay offset side hoppers were built in 1960 and these cars were common in both steam and diesel-era freight consists into the 1970s and in a few instances as late as the 1980s. These N Scale replicas feature die-cast slope sheet-hopper bay-center sill assembly; injection molded plastic sides, ends, and hopper doors; fully molded brake tank, valve and air lines; body mounted brake hose detail; realistic coal loads; lever-style hand brake; body mounted magnetically operating knuckle couplers; close coupling; and Fox Valley Models metal wheels.