Produced from 1963 to 1966, the GP35, along with its six-axle SD35 sibling, marked both an end and a beginning. They were the last road diesels to use the EMD 567 motor that had powered switchers, F-units, and Geeps since 1939 (so named because each cylinder displaced 567 cubic inches). For the horsepower race of the 1960s, EMD tweaked the 567 to a turbocharged V-16 delivering 2500 hp. That was it for the 567, however, and in 1966 the baton was passed to the more powerful model 645. But while the "35 line" diesels ushered out an old motor, they inaugurated a new look. Their angled cab roofs and the clean, squared-off lines of their car bodies established the look of EMD power for the next three decades.
Highly detailed model features lighted number boards, smooth performance from a 3-scale-mile-per-hour crawl to full throttle, "cruise control for steady speeds regardless of curves, switches and grades plus built-in decoder for DCC and the M.T.H. DCS Digital Command System and a full range of sounds recorded from a prototype GP35.