These models represent a phase 2 U30B locomotive. The primary spotting feature of phase 2 units was the hood below the radiator, which was evenly built out to the same width as the radiator. A U30B could be differentiated from the lower horsepower U23B by the presence of two sets of four tall engine access doors near the center of the long hood. During production, the U30B was equipped with various trucks, including Blomberg trucks from EMD trade-in locomotives, AAR-style trucks, or GE's own four-axle FB2 truck.
Norfolk & Western owned the most phase 2 U30Bs with a total of 75 units; all included a high short hood. Other major owners included C&O, Frisco and Western Pacific. While some U30Bs found homes on other railroads after being retired by their initial owner, very few examples of this model are still in service today.
* Snow plow (as appropriate per road name)
* Separately-applied scale detail parts include: windshield wipers, metal grab irons, coupler cut levers, multiple-unit hoses, train line hoses, fine scale handrails, drop steps and more!
* Five pole skewed armature motor with dual flywheels for optimum performance at all speeds
* Directional lighting with Golden-white LEDs
* Blackened metal wheels
* Optional low nose headlights
* Low nose cab with square or round headlight housing (as appropriate per road name)
* AAR-B, FB-2 or Blomberg trucks (as appropriate per road name)
* Electronic Dual-Mode(R) Decoder (e-DMD) that allows your locomotive to run in DCC or traditional DC
QSI(R) Quantum System(TM) Features:
* Dual speaker system
* Authentic diesel engine sounds
* Squealing brakes
* Doppler effect
* Air let-off in neutral
* Coupler impact sounds when operated with DCC
* Helper mode that mutes the whistle and bell for double heading