As technology improved between the wars, light tanks evolved into fast machine gun carriers designed to smash enemy defenses. Introduced in 1936, the Mark VI was the last and heaviest of this series and sported several improvements. Armament consisted of a .50 and a .303 caliber machine gun. When World War II began in 1939, the Mark VI made up the bulk of British armored forces. Serving in France, Egypt, Greece, Crete, Malta and Persia, they were finally withdrawn from front line service in 1942; surviving vehicles were reassigned to training units.
The return roller was moved on this model, which was otherwise identical to the Mark VI.