There are no products matching the selection.
Unveiled in May of 1937, the Super Chief was designed and built as Santa Fe's finest train, embracing innovative new ideas including diesel power and individual lightweight cars. Racing from Chicago to Los Angeles in 39 hours and 45 minutes - the fastest schedule at the time - the extra fare, first class, all-room Super Chief quickly established a reputation for speed and luxurious style that made it Santa Fe's flagship for decades.
In 1951, Santa Fe truly raised the bar on luxury with an all-new Super Chief consist that included cars from Budd, American Car & Foundry and Pullman-Standard. No expense was spared to serve the train's exclusive clientele, as evidenced by the Pleasure Dome lounge cars. Built to rival the finest hotels of the time, these unique cars offered revolving single seats upstairs, while the lower level boasted a lounge and the unique Turquoise Room for private dinner parties.
Historians, collectors, modelers and fans of this great train consider the years from 1951 to 1956 as the Super Chief's finest, and it's this version that serves as the prototype for our WalthersProto® HO Scale replica.
With a real metal finish to simulate stainless steel, color-matched to our El Capitan cars (sold separately), they're perfect for modeling the original train, the combined Super Chief/El Capitan, and other Santa Fe streamliners.
- Real Metal Finish Simulates Stainless Steel
- Prototypical Finish Color Matches El Capitan Cars
- Perfect for Modeling Combined Super Chief/El Capitan & other Santa Fe Trains
- Available with Factory Installed LED Interior Lighting
- Factory Installed Grab Irons
- Prototypically Accurate Window Tinting
- Classic "Long Bonnet" Paint Scheme
- Based on 1951-58 Phase 1 Units with:
* ATSF Changed-out Body Panels
* Dual Slit Dynamic Brake Wire Screens
* Dual Leslie A-200 Horns
* Freight Style Pilot
* Full Fuel Tank Skirts
* Knob Style Sand Hatch Covers
* Tall Fans
* Vertical "Farr" Stainless Steel Side Grilles
* Roller Bearing Journals
* Single Steam Generator on B Units
* ATS Shoe on Engineer's Side Rear Truck
- 14:1 Gear Ratio for Multiple-Unit Operations
Super Chief Consists
Each of the six train sets in daily Super Chief service included a storage mail, RPO, diner, lounge, dorm and observation car, plus three or more each 4-4-2 and 10-6 sleepers. With our latest WalthersProto® 16-Class F3 diesels and cars, it's easy to model a typical train from 1951 to the 1970s. Here are some sample consists to help you get started: