Between 1926 and 1938, a total of 95 class 24 locos were purchased for the flat, long branch lines in East and West Prussia. These locomotives were nicknamed the Prairie Pony and while designed as passenger locomotives were also used as a general-purpose locomotive. The locos reached a maximum speed of 56mph 90km/h. The division of Germany and the areas surrendered to Poland resulted in 38 locos assigned to the DB where they worked branchs, often hauling Donnerbuchsen/Thunder Box passenger cars. Their numbers declined through 1966 as they were replaced by class VT 95 and VT 98 red rail busses. The last DB class 24 locos were retired and scrapped following their withdrawl from service at Rheydt in 1966. The 34 locomotives left in Poland after World War II ran until 1976. Four Prairie Ponies remain preserved as museum pieces; one of them is from the roster of the Polish State Railroad (PKB).
The locomotive is equipped with a Marklin Digital decoder and a special motor. It has a metal boiler and all drivers are powered; two traction tires ensure maximum pulling power. Other features include close couplers in NEM coupler pockets, directional LED triple headlights that work in conventional operation and can be digitally controlled. The acceleration and braking delay can be controlled digitally with a 6021 Control Unit or Märklin Systems. The locomotive has electrical contacts for a smoke generator (available separately).